Now Reading
Where Are They Now? Alumni Spotlight: Therese Drettmann

Many people smile while posing for the camera.

Therese Drettmann’s journey from MSU graduation to career start at MullenLowe Boston

By: Sarah Helling

Therese Drettmann graduated from Michigan State University in 2021, with a bachelor’s in advertising management and minors in public relations and graphic design. Through her PR minor, she says she found her love for public relations.

“I took a public relations course and realized how much I enjoyed it” Drettmann said. “I ended up reaching out to my professor to express my interest in public relations.”

After Drettmann reached out to her professor, Roselyn Tantraphol, she got an internship at Moonsail North, a Lansing, Michigan-based marketing communications agency co-founded by Tantraphol. Drettmann had to go through a series of interviews before landing the internship but having her professors support helped her along the way. Drettmann worked as a marketing and public relations intern.

A portrait of a smiling person.
With a bachelor’s in advertising management and minors in public relations and graphic design, Therese Drettmann graduated in 2021.

“I don’t know where I would be now if I had not reached out to my professor,” Drettmann said.

Following her internship experience, Drettmann emerged from college with a clear vision of her professional path – she was committed to a career in public relations. The hands-on exposure not only fueled her passion but also instilled a profound confidence in her ability to navigate the dynamic landscape of the industry.

For aspiring PR professionals, Drettmann encourages PR students to look to their classes.

See Also
Woman leaning again wall with Peacock NBC logo

“Understand the foundational base of public relations. The homework and assignments really helped me understand public relations when I started working at an agency,” Drettmann said.

Post-grad, Drettmann was hired in what she describes as her dream job working for MullenLowe as an account executive in Boston. She says working out-of-state can be difficult, she would not want it any other way. She said there are a lot of PR opportunities in Boston and says MSU PR students should reach for the many opportunities out there.

“If you are given the opportunity to see the agency, take it and explore your options while staying connected to those around you,” Drettmann said. “Maintain a positive attitude and take the time to meet the people around you because you never know where those connections could take you.”