Now Reading
PR Junior Takes on the MotorCity via Automotive Internship

A closeup of the hood logo for the Chrysler brand.

ADPR students start their career engines with Detroit field experience

By: Gillienne LaCrosse

A portrait of a smiling person.
Brooke Swanson is a junior majoring in public relations and minoring in business.

Brooke Swanson, junior public relations major and business minor, grew up with a fondness for the automotive industry. The North American International Auto Show and the Woodward Dream Cruise were considered staple family events that would drive her zeal to pursue an automotive internship.

Swanson looked at countless positions before finding her perfect match on Handshake, a student job search resource offered through Michigan State University. After applying for a communications internship at Stellantis, she interviewed and landed her dream internship.

Driving into a Successful Internship

Swanson says she was thrilled to transition from classroom to her diverse daily internship routines.

“One day, I would be working on an event and the next day, I would be helping update fact sheets for the media,” said Swanson.

The skills used in class aren’t just for the credits. She acknowledges that without her classes and background, her internship would have been more challenging her.

“The required writing class for PR helped my internship just to have that foundation of how to write press releases and digital content,” said Swanson. “Also, the fact that my program focuses a lot on group projects was super helpful with knowing how to work on a team.”

COVID-19 changed the way of life for many, but especially the format of work life. Looking to learn, Swanson says she was hesitant to approach a hybrid internship having fears of not getting the full experience of an internship. She says the opposite has proven true.

“The flexibility with the hybrid schedule was unique allowing me still to be at home with my family and enjoy my dogs while giving a chance to go in and maintain connections with my co-workers,” said Swanson.

Spark Plugs for Automotive Networking

See Also

The public relations field has many routes within specializing and finding a niche. With graduation looming, Swanson says she isn’t too concerned after her internship with Stellantis about finding what is right for her.

“I was able to work on internal content for employees to external content that was going out to consumers of the brands we love to drive,” said Swanson. “From suppliers to working on corporate events, I had a chance to get a feel for everything and see where I would like to aim for after graduation.”

As for advice for students looking to get involved in the automotive industry, Swanson says networking is a powerful asset in any industry.

“Reach out and make meaningful connections with as many people as you can,” said Swanson. “Start small with manufacturers or companies that you want to go into.”

Swanson used her Stellantis internship to complete the 250-hour field experience graduation requirement for Public Relations Majors. To learn more about the field experience requirement, internships and more, visit https://comartsci.msu.edu/student-field-experience.